Monday, February 12, 2007

The women of Ohio, U.S.A., call upon the women of the world, from day-old babies to our most senior elders, to stand with us on May 13, 2007, to save the world.

We will be standing for the world's children and grandchildren, and for the seven generations beyond them. We dream of a world where all of our children have safe drinking water, clean air to breathe, and enough food to eat. A world where they have access to a basic education to develop their minds and healthcare to nurture their growing bodies. A world where they have a warm, safe and loving place to call home. A world where they don't live in fear of violence--in their home, in their neighborhood, in their school or in their world. This is the world of which we dream. This is the cause for which we will stand.

If you share this dream, please stand with us for five minutes of silence at 1 p.m. your local time on May 13, 2007, in your local park, school yard, gathering place, or any place you deem appropriate, to signifiy your agreement with our dream. We ask you to invite the men and boys who you care about to join you. We ask that you bring bells to ring at 1 p.m. to signify the beginning of the five minutes of silence and to ring again to signify the end of the period of silence. During the silence, please think about what you individually and we collectively can do to attain this world. Please feel free to sit rather than stand. Afterwards, hopefully you and your loved ones can talk together about how we can bring about this world.

See www.StandingWomen.org for more details and to register your commitment to stand with us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be in Worthington OH, standing with those who have already chosen the corner at N High ST and 161. I will tell as many others as I am able.

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by the words of Julia Ward Howe. I will meet with my fellow Capay Valley mamas and loved ones on Mothers Day Nichols Park in Guinda, California, USA

Lisa said...

Hi

I Will be standing in a park, I would like to invite others to stand with me so I contacted the park district for permission, they recommended for me to send out a press release to the papers and such. Do you have any templates yet for press releases and flyers? Or Do I make them up and send to you for approval? I would have emailed you but I can't see where to contact you.
Thank you
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I beseech all to please read carefully the invitation for this event...we are standing for ALL the world's children to have basic necessities, education, loving homes, freedom from violence -- it is NOT an invitation to protest the war in Iraq.

Our (& others) troops are giving the formerly repressed Iraqi citizens a chance to gain those basic needs for which we will stand on May 13. Do I pray for peaceful solutions to all oppression? Of course. The violence the Iraqi people face daily is horrible -- but, behind it they finally have HOPE for a freedom that former regimes would NEVER have allowed them.

Ask a soldier who has been there. Research the many ways our military presence has already given freedom to many Iraqi citizens -- fresh water, the opportunity to go to school, re-building communities, etc. You will learn that the media and self-seeking politicians tell a mere portion of the story of Iraq and our military's efforts for their freedom

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to have a couple of weeks ago found out about Standing Women. Since last Mother's Day (2006), I have been organizing Peace Circles to meet on May 13th and read the Mother's Day Proclamation. Our website is www.mothersofheart.org. Standing Women's intent is so similiar. I love the simplicity yet power of their Call. I plan to participate in the 5 minutes of silence. I have been sending information and a link to their website to all of my contacts. It is affirming and exciting to know that this kind of energy is moving in so many ways this Mother's Day!!!!

Birthing Peace Through Heart,
Tommasina

Anonymous said...

I will stand in the Batsto State Park, in the Wharton State Forest in Southern New Jersey, on the
shore of the Lake near the dam.
I am inspired to join with women everywhere in a worldwide meditation on Peace. I will especially be thinking of the women whose children are far away,
estranged or deceased, and I will send my compassion and love to them and their children.